Jonathan has been a partner in Philip Lee since 2002. He heads the firm’s finance practice and also works on a wide range of corporate transactions including joint ventures, acquisitions and restructurings.
“His attention to detail and prompt responses are excellent. He is good at negotiating with other firms”. Chambers Europe, 2016
Jonathan’s practice has particular sectoral focus on the areas of infrastructure projects, energy and media. He has advised both public and private sector clients in relation to a number of the largest infrastructure projects in the State, including many public private partnerships. He is also recognised as a leading practitioner in the area of film and television finance.
Recent transactions include advising:
- AIB’s Specialised Finance division on the financing of the acquisition by a Greencoat Capital SPV of an Irish wind farm portfolio from Brookfield Renewables, and in connection with the successful initial public offering (IPO) of the acquisition vehicle Greencoat Renewables plc in July 2017.
- Universal Cable Productions LLC in connection with the financing of “Nightflyers”, a new TV drama series based on a short story collection by George R.R. Martin (“Game of Thrones”).
- Microsoft Corporation in relation to one of Ireland’s first corporate power purchase agreement (PPA) transactions, involving the acquisition of a licensed electricity supply company from a subsidiary of General Electric and the subsequent execution of a PPA between that company and another GE subsidiary.
- Port of Cork Company in relation to the financing of the redevelopment of Ringaskiddy Harbour, funded by AIB, the European Investment Bank and the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund.
- Dublin City Council on the December 2017 refinancing of the Dublin Waste to Energy PPP.
- Bank of Ireland in relation to the financing of various Irish wind farm projects, one of which achieved financial close in June 2017.
- Comerica Bank and Ingenious Media in connection with the financing of “The Rhythm Section” (starring Blake Lively).
- Sidney Kimmel Entertainment in connection with the financing of Neil Jordan’s “The Widower”.
- the Health Service Executive (HSE) on the negotiation of a commercial agreement with Vertex Pharmaceuticals for the supply of high-tech cystic fibrosis drugs worth several hundred million euro.
- the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) in connection with its bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup, including advice on the structure of the local organising committee.