Within the law guide rankings for Projects and PPP, Philip Lee is consistently ranked as a top tier firm so you can be assured that you are being advised by true specialists. The partners in the Construction, Projects and PPP group include Kerri Crossen, Jonathan Kelly, Damien Young, Clare Cashin, Hugh Cummins and Philip Lee. Collectively they have advised public and private bodies on over 200 major projects, among which are some of the largest infrastructure projects undertaken in Ireland.
The work we do:
- Advising Westmeath County Council on a 650 unit housing development in Athlone.
- Advising the preferred tenderer Equitix/ Kajima on Social Housing Bundle 2 PPP which is expected to reach financial close this summer.
- We advised Port of Cork on its significant redevelopment project of Ringaskiddy Port worth approximately €100 million. We also advised on the procurement, construction and due diligence aspects of the project and in relation to funding documents.
- Advised the works contractor on all construction documents for the building of two service areas at Athlone and Kilcullen. These works were being carried out under the Motorway Service Areas Tranche 2 PPP which closed in July 2018 and the construction contract was a bespoke pass down of the main PPP project agreement.
- Advised the sponsor, a BAM-Iridium consortium, on a €230 million roads PPP project which reached financial close in January 2016.
- Advised Wicklow County Council on the development of a shopping centre. We advised on the tender procedure for the appointment of a developer/contractor and drafted the Development Agreement to carry out the design and construction works valued at €30 million.
- Advised Beaumont Hospital on the development of a new blood services laboratory at the existing hospital. We advised in relation to a challenge to their award of the contract by the unsuccessful tenderer.
- Advising the HSE on the establishment of a framework panel for the appointment of design team consultants for HSE building projects. We advise the HSE on their various projects and disputes.
- Advising the developer on the full suite of contractual arrangements/documents for the demolition of an existing office building and the contract for a new City Centre office block.
- Advised the developer in relation to the redevelopment of a Dublin City Council social accommodation site at Charlemont in Dublin 2. This flagship project closed in December 2015 and construction completed in December 2017.
- Advised Balfour Beatty/JJ Rhatigans as the Construction Joint Venture to the successful consortium for the Primary Care Centres PPP. This closed in May 2016.
- Advised the NDFA on Schools Bundle 5 PPP which closed in July 2016 and Schools Bundle 4 which reached financial close in December 2014. Currently advising on issues arising following the insolvency of the main contractor and the appointment of a replacement contractor.
Key areas where clients seek our advice:
- Understanding of risk: The key to a successful project in the PPP area is an understanding of what risks can and cannot be transferred from the public sector to the private sector.
- Providing efficiencies: Thanks to our many years of experience our clients find that project negotiations become efficient, concise and non-adversarial. Our group provides advice that is friendly, accessible and has the benefit of a long history of success and specialist expertise.
- Broad experience: We act for private sector sponsors, project lenders and the public sector. That means we understand what is required to balance the needs of the public and private sectors, allowing us to develop contracts that keep PPP projects moving forward.
Philip Lee is rated for its ‘personal touch and desire to understand the clients’ needs and requirements’. Legal 500, 2019