Bernard, a senior partner with Philip Lee, joined the firm in August 2020. Bernard, whose contact base in Dublin and the wider Irish market is second to none, is a keen and skilled negotiator always driving to look for solutions as opposed to problems.
Prior to joining Philip Lee, Bernard was the managing partner and founder of McEvoy Corporate Law, and before this was a partner in an international law firm based in London where he set up and managed the Irish team of that firm. During his years of practice Bernard has built up extensive experience, skill and know-how in all areas where business and law interact.
Bernard’s practice areas include:
- Cross-border M&A
- Transaction Structuring
- Debt and Equity Fundraising
- Mezzanine Finance
- Receiverships, Insolvencies, Examinerships
- Commercial Contracts
- Joint Ventures
- Commercial Litigation
- Advising Petrel PLC on the sale of its shares by shareholders in breach of a lock in agreement and obtaining interlocutory relief before Irish the High Court.
- Advising the beneficiaries of a pension fund in relation to the alleged fraudulent misappropriation of over €6 million of their pension assets. This is a cross-border matter involving multiple parties including various financial institutions.
- Advising a company and its directors in relation to a shareholder’s claim for oppression under section 212 of the Companies Act 2014.
- Advising a company in relation to a high-value property dispute regarding a right of way claimed over lands to be developed.
- Advising a Malaysian investment fund in relation to two separate Section 160 Planning Injunctions and a related nuisance action arising from the development of a prominent hotel site in the City Centre.
- Advised the petitioners in a number of compulsory liquidations of companies.
- Advised Origin Enterprises plc on the merger of their fish oil and meal business reported at €78 million.
- Advised the leading healthcare IT supplier IMS MAXIMS cross border examinership under the European Insolvency Regulations and related investment including Letter of Request from the Irish High Court to the High Court of England and Wales under the European Communities (Corporate Insolvency) Regulations 2002.
- Acted for the Examiner in the High Court Examinership of Malvern House Ireland Limited.
- Acted for the Examiner of Ryco Book Protection Services Limited.
- Advised EQTEC plc on its Share Capital Reorganisation, Rule 9 Whitewash and Waiver from the Irish Take Over Panel.
- Advised the majority sellers on the sale of Ardmore Studios Limited.
- Advised Great Northern Distillery Limited Acquisition of Harp Brewery and financing under the Employment Investment Incentive Scheme.
- Advised Petrel Resources plc arbitration before the International Court of Arbitration concerning exploration rights in the Porcupine Basin of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Advised Shay Murtagh (Precast) Ltd acquisition of Evans Concrete Limited.
- Advised on the sale of Cooley Distillery to US firm Jim Beam (the fourth-biggest spirits company in the world) for $95 million (€73 million).