Philip Lee has an established marine practice, unique in the Irish legal services market.
We have been responsible for delivering some of the most ambitious construction and infrastructure projects in the marine environment in Ireland including:
- East-West Electricity Interconnector
- Port of Cork redevelopment at Ringaskiddy
- America Europe Connect subsea fibre optic cable between US-Ireland
- Greystones Harbour and Marina PPP
- Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Securing foreshore consent for a floating data centre on behalf of Nautilus Data Technologies
Our marine projects practice group is advising on the following significant mandates:
- Acting for RWE Renewables on the Dublin Array offshore wind project
- Appointed as lead legal advisors to the Aquaculture Licenses Appeals Board
- Advising Aqua Comms on the financing, consenting and delivery of subsea fibre optic cable projects between US-Ireland-UK-Europe, including the Havfrue and Havhingsten cable systems
- Lead adviser to the Marine Institute and Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) on the consenting and procurement of the SmartBay marine energy quarter scale device test site in Galway Bay
- Lead adviser to SEAI on the consenting and procurement of the AFLOWT floating offshore wind farm test project at the AMETS marine energy test site at Belmullet, Co Mayo
- Appointed lead legal advisers to Bord Iascaigh Mhara and Bord Bia, advising on a wide range of operational matters including procurement of services and goods for these bodies responsible for the marketing and promotion of Irish food and seafood
- Advising on the financing and procurement of a new state-of-the-art marine research vessel on behalf of the Marine Institute
- Ports and harbours
- Aquaculture/fish health
- Marine research and development
- Biodiversity, archaeology and maritime heritage
- Marine spatial planning
- Waste water treatment
- Dredging and dumping at sea
- Vessel charter and seizure
Click here to read more
- Advising the Commissioners for Irish Lights on their unique governance and funding structures under old English legislative provisions
- Advising on certain regulatory aspects of the Arklow Bank offshore wind farm
- Advising Mainstream Renewable Power on the proposed ‘Energy Bridge’ project to export renewable energy from Ireland to the UK
- Advising and making consultation submissions on behalf of the Irish Offshore Operator’s Association on the general scheme of the Maritime Area and Foreshore Act, which has since been replaced by the Marine Planning and Development Management bill
- Advising and making consultation submissions on behalf of the National Offshore Wind Association (NOW Ireland) on the draft Offshore Renewable Energy Development Plan (OREDP)
- Advising Shannon Foynes Port Company on the regularisation of port-owned and occupied lands, dealing with wrecks, consents for certain activities and works under the Foreshore Acts, and matters relating to pilotage and employment rights and obligations
- Advising Aqua Comms on the financing and development of the CeltixConnect subsea fibre optic cable
Very strong in environmental law and very proactive at sharing information and making us aware of forthcoming issues that might impact our business.
Chambers Europe, 2023
A very strong, specialised team, providing clear, practical advice.
Legal 500, 2022
Really commercial, agile and pragmatic.
Legal 500, 2020
News and insights
Update for Ireland’s offshore wind energy developers: Maritime Area Consent (MAC) applications now open for “Phase 1” projects
Key Contact: Alice Whittaker - Partner Opening of the first MAC application window for “Phase 1” projects The first application window for the Maritime Area Consent (MAC) regime is now open for a period of eight weeks, closing on Wednesday 22 June 2022. As discussed...
The MPA Advisory Group unveils public consultation results on “Expanding Ireland’s Marine Protected Area Network”
Key Contacts: Alice Whittaker - Partner On 31 March 2022, the Marine Protection Area Advisory Group released a detailed analysis summarising the results of its public consultation on Ireland’s network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). The public consultation began on...
Key Contact: Philip Lee - Partner and Executive Chairman Published in Eolas Magazine, 3 March 2022. Partners Philip Lee and Siobhán McCabe feature in the Offshore Wind Report in the latest Eolas Magazine, discussing the TEN-E Regulation which sets out guidelines for...