Jonathan has been a partner in Philip Lee since 2002 and the firm’s managing partner since September 2020.
He works on a wide range of corporate and financing transactions, with particular focus on the infrastructure, energy, media and real estate sectors. He has advised both public and private sector clients in relation to a number of the largest infrastructure projects in the State, including many public private partnerships (PPP). He is also recognised as a leading practitioner in the area of film and television finance.
“What I like about Jonathan Kelly is his serious attention to detail,” reports one impressed client, adding that “Kelly would have known every line of every page.” Chambers Europe, 2019
“Jonathan Kelly is without question the pre-eminent film and television lawyer in Ireland.” Legal 500, 2021
Jonathan’s recent transactions include advising:
- The Health Service Executive on the relocation of the National Maternity Hospital to Elm Park medical campus, including the governance and management arrangements for the charitable company which will operate the new hospital facility, approved by the Irish government in May 2022.
- The Element Pictures film and television group and its founding shareholders on the May 2022 sale of a majority shareholding in that company to Fremantle Media Group, a subsidiary of RTL Group (majority owned by Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA).
- Leading service station and fuel distribution business Corrib Oil on its 2021 acquisition of H2 Group, adding 13 new sites to the Corrib Oil retail portfolio, and the simultaneous refinancing of Corrib Oil’s working capital and term debt.
- Digital 9 Infrastructure plc on the April 2021 acquisition of the entire share capital of Aqua Comms DAC, a Dublin-headquartered operator of sub-sea cable infrastructure. Also advised on aspects of Digital 9’s initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange immediately preceding that acquisition.
- The shareholders of seafood business Breizon on the sale of that company to Groupe Mericq, a major French seafood supplier.
- Hire Purchase Information DAC in relation to the December 2021 acquisition by CRIF S.p.A. of a majority interest in that company.
- RWE AG in relation to aspects of the Dublin Array offshore wind energy project.
- O’Flynn Group in relation to the financing of various real estate development portfolios.
- Sustainable Development Capital (SDCL) on the refinancing of two energy efficiency retrofit projects in the hospitals sector. Also advising on the financing of a new energy efficiency project at Tallaght Hospital.
- Ireland’s sovereign wealth fund ISIF on debt financing transactions with borrowers in the renewable fuels and office accommodation sectors.
- Several major US studios, including MGM, Warner Bros., Disney and Amazon Studios, on the financing of large film/television productions.
- Media lender Cofiloisirs in relation to the financing of numerous film and television productions.
- The producers of the forthcoming feature film “Marlowe”, starring Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger and Jessica Lange.
“Jonathan Kelly is the most outstanding media lawyer I have come across anywhere in Europe or North America: able, immensely knowledgeable and quick to react.” – Legal 500, 2022