Ireland’s booming film and television sector broke all previous records in 2021, and continues to grow.
We specialise in media and entertainment. We assist our clients in commercialising and protecting their content across platforms.
Our film and television practice is recognised as the largest and most active in the Irish market. We have been engaged in connection with almost every feature film, major television drama and animation series produced in Ireland in recent years.
From the moment a project begins we advise on securing or acquiring the rights to the project; the contractual arrangements to finance and produce the project; and the distribution of the project around the world. Our team is experienced in advising clients on structuring the financing for projects and we have particular expertise on advising on Ireland’s tax incentive for film, television and online-distributed projects, Section 481.
The media and entertainment group is led by Jonathan Kelly and Brian Gormley. The group advises production companies, major studios, broadcasters and streamers, as well as a wide range of financiers (including every bank which has been active in this sector over recent years), on the production, financing and exploitation of feature films and television programmes.
We are truly integrated into the film and television industry sitting on the boards of the Virgin Media Dublin International Film Festival and Filmbase; advising Screen Ireland, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and Screen Producers Ireland on an ongoing basis; and designing courses for Screen Training Ireland and Filmbase.
We also advise on the following areas:
- Media regulation
- Live stage productions
- Social media
- Video games
- Book publishing
- Advertising, marketing and communications
Our film and television practice advises on the following:
- Development: option agreements, screenplay agreements, life story rights, development financing agreement, development writer agreements, development director agreements.
- Production: writer agreements, director agreements, cast agreements, heads of department and crew agreements; animator agreements; storybook artist agreements; clearances and releases, errors and omissions insurance, composer agreements and music licences.
- Financing: equity investments; gap-financing, discounting; security arrangements, completion bond.
- Post-Production/VFX: post production services agreements, VFX services agreements.
- Co-Productions: co-production agreements; official co-productions European Convention or with Treaty countries such as Canada and Australia, Eurimages funding.
- Distribution: sales agency agreements, distribution agreements, format rights.
- Talent: actors, director, writer, executive producers.
The team are a great support to producers as well as providing many solutions to contractual agreements for film production.
Legal 500, 2023
Lawyers in the team have an outstanding grasp of the film and television industries.
Chambers Europe, 2023
Philip Lee’s knowledge and experience of the Irish film and television sector is unrivalled.
Legal 500, 2022
Market leaders in film and TV finance with the ability to advise and service Hollywood-based studios, streamers and TV companies. Expert knowledge and deep experience with a commercial approach.
Legal 500, 2022
First-class legal work underpinned by sound commercial instincts.
Legal 500, 2022
A highly experienced, top-tier media and entertainment team.
Legal 500, 2021
“They have such a wide range of experience and clients that they are up to date on international developments in our industry.”
Chambers Europe, 2021